Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Surviving Winter in Norway: Hibernation is over!

I've posted before about wintertime in Norway.  This year I got to experience it at the secluded farm house in the mountain.  Never-ending darkness. Sideways rain. Slush. Wind that sounds like it will blow the house down.  Maybe a little snow. Cold.  I wasn't sure how I was going to make it without completely freaking out.  I am not as Norwegian as my blood says.  The rain does stop me from going running outside or taking a day trip to visit friends for coffee. Well, I did it.  This is how...

1. I had a good hang-out buddy.  

Not only is is quiet and relaxing (and dark) during the winter months, but it can get a little creepy.  I was scared walking outside to my car at 8am.  Thank goodness I had Isra there to keep me company and remind me that Zombies aren't real.

It helps if your buddy is this cute


2. I found a good series (or two).

Thank goodness for Netflix.  Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead.  Followed by some Friends or The Office.  When the sun goes down at 3:30 and your living room window looks like a car window inside a car wash, sometimes the best thing is a good show, cozy blanket and a cup of tea.



3. I learned how to bake bread.

The smell of bread baking is one of the coziest smells ever and somehow warms me up inside and out.  Plus, baking bread takes time, which you have when you stay inside for more hours than usual.



4. I became obsessed with a new game. 

When you decide it is time to turn off the shows, you need something else fun to do.  Isra and I became obsessed with Rummy 500 and Liverpool (card games).

5. For the times I had to go outside, I wore wool, rain gear from head to toe, and considered goggles a few times.

It is impossible to avoid the outside.  We must live and work of course.  So, it is important to ensure you are covered as much as possible when facing the outside.



6. Last but not least, soak up any and all good weather.  

There were times when the sun would come out and we would run outside (with our warm jackets on), just to get a glimpse of the sun, and a view of the pretty landscape.  Because after all, it is gorgeous here.



Now the spring is here.  The days are getting longer and longer and the sun has been shining for nearly 3 weeks.  It is time to switch gears; put up the dark curtains, turn off the tv and go for a hike in the sunshine.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,
    My name is Natalie Sullivan and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in Norway and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The expats on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. They must also speak English fluently and can be buyers or renters for their homes. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7717 or skype me at natalieesullivan. You can also email me at nataliesullivan@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete